Full Disclosure Brownies

image credit
I made brownies last night. So why am I calling them "full disclosure"? Because I have to tell you something - they are made with white flour (though it is unbleached so that makes it ok...right?). And white sugar. I keep a bag of unbleached flour in my cabinet "just in case" and I have white sugar left over from baking Christmas goodies for others so I decided to put them both to good use yesterday.

But why? See, I have been having major chocolate cavings that nothing has been able to satisfy.  As much as I love homemade food, there are certain things that I just prefer from a box/can/jar/bottle. As you know I already have a preference for Italian dressing from a bottle,  but my biggest preference is for boxed brownies. Don't get me wrong,  homemade brownies can be delicious and definitely have their place. But they are never quite right (though I am sure there are many of you out there who would disagree).  I've been wanting some ooey,  gooey brownies but really didn't want to buy a box because 1) I would have to spend money when I already have ingredients and 2) I didn't really want all the chemicals and preservatives that come in a box. I tried making some this weekend and though they were good, they just didn't satisfy. But last night I decided to try one more time at homemade.


Aside from having the obstacle of homemade never being quite right, I also wanted to make them using cocoa,  even though I know that melted chocolate is supposed to make the fudgiest brownies.  But you know what? I did it. I made rich, chocolatey,  fudgy brownies that were every bit as good as boxed - if not better!


Fudgy Cocoa Brownies (slightly adapted from Taste As You Go)


1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cocoa
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon  Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan with the stick of butter being used in the recipe. In a medium to large pot, melt butter. Remove from the heat, add cocoa, and stir until well blended.

Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, flour, and salt. Be careful not to overmix!

Spread in the prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and devouring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The secret to these, and any chewy brownie, is not to overbake! I took down the time on the recipe by 5 minutes because I found the original time to be far too long the first time I made them, but to be honest I just went by sight and touch this last time (so maybe they were a tad on the underdone side...but brownies are best that way!). 


And again, why am I calling these full disclosure brownies? Because I want to show you that I am not perfect in my eating. Just like I fall short in other areas of my life, I do eat white flour, white sugar, and processed foods. And that is ok! I will eventually try these out with whole food ingredients, but for now  I figured this is much better than anything junky I buy at the store when that craving hits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...