Curried Chickpeas Over Coconut Rice

I finally got around to making the curried chickpeas. Go me! I actually started not to because I wanted something quicker (which you will laugh when you read the recipe!) so I could get dinner ready sooner since the kid and I got home so late this afternoon. But I went through with my original plan and I am glad I did! It was quick, easy, and tasty...plus the husband didn't get home until much later than expected anyway.

Curried Chickpeas over Coconut Rice

2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic
2 heaping tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander seed
3 cups (or 2 cans drained) chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
1 cup coconut milk (or 1 cup water + 2 tsp coconut concentrate)
2 pinches cayenne pepper

2 cups coconut milk (or 2 cups water + 4 tsp coconut concentrate)
1 cup brown rice

1. Cook rice in coconut milk. 
2. Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add spices, stir, and let toast a minute.
3. Add rest of ingredients (through milk). Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes or as long as you can wait. 

I made peas to serve on the side with this but we discovered that the peas tasted much better mixed in. This also didn't have enough heat for us. A little more cayenne probably would have helped, as well as a little pepper (which we did add to our own bowls). Overall I was happy with this dish, though. 

1 comment:

  1. Mmm that sounds yummy. And I do think peas would be great in it. Adding to my recipes to try list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...