What Cake

I will not tell you how much of this cake I ate in less than 24 hours. I will only say that it was good. It was different than cakes that I am used to but not in a bad way. It was also very moist and the topping was like a yummy mix between caramel and toffee.

And no, I'm not referring to the fact that I ate too much of this cake with the title of this post, that really is the name. But maybe the fact that it is addicting is how it got its name? The recipe is slightly adapted from Dining on a Dime, a basic frugal cookbook that I love.



What Cake

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 ts salt
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sucanat
1 egg, beaten

1. Mix oatmeal and butter together; pour boiling water over them to soften.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Pour into greased 8 x 8 pan and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

Topping

1/4 cup sucanat
1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
chopped nuts (optional)

1. Combine sugar, milk, and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
2. Add coconut and nuts if using and stir.
3. Spread over cake and put under broiler until lightly browned.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...