Curried Lentils

image credit
 So my plan was to make curried chickpeas, but apparently I do not have any chickpeas in the house. I was about to scrap the whole idea when I thought that lentils would make a great addition to a curry-type sauce. Like all my ethnic recipes, I do not claim this to be authentic, but it was delicious :)

Curried Lentils
  • 1 cup dry lentils
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup coconut milk (I actually use coconut cream concentrate and water)
  • 2 tbsp tomato sauce (can omit)
  • 1 heaping tbsp curry powder
  • dash onion powder
  • dash garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger (feel free to use fresh if you have it)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch

  1. Combine all ingredients except lentils and cornstarch in a pot and bring to a boil. 
  2. Add lentils, return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. When lentils are done, remove 1/4 cup (or so) of liquid and mix in the cornstarch. Carefully mix this back in with the lentils. This gives the lentils a nice sauce to serve over a bed of (brown) rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...