Learning to say no

While standing in the check out line at the grocery store the other day I saw some delicious cookies on sale for half off. This was a great price for these cookies and I really do like them. A lot. The Husband may not have gotten any if I had bought them. But I didn't buy them. They were only $1.99 - that is not a lot of money at all. But it is when you only have $200 a month to spend. That is a whole 1%!



Whether your grocery (or any other) budget is $500 or $200, there is always going to come a time when you need to say "no." I first titled this post "sacrifices" but changed it because that seemed like too extreme of a word. While not being able to buy whatever you feel like may seem like a sacrifice when you first begin to stick to a budget, it does become easier over time. In fact, it can even seem freeing to know that you have the willpower to say "no" to an item that just isn't necessary.




The next time you are at the store and can't buy that delicious treat you would like or are making your menu and know that that juicy steak just isn't in the budget, try to think of it in a different way. Don't think to yourself "ugh...I really want to buy that. Sticking to a budget sucks! Why can't I buy those cookies?" Instead think to yourself "I am choosing to not buy those cookies because I would rather spend my money on something more nutritious and worthwhile like carrots."

Okay, so you may not think that exactly, but the idea is the same. Instead of thinking about why you can't buy something, think about how you have the power to choose a better option for your money. Frivolous purchases can leave you without the money to buy something that you need. Or it can put you over your allotted grocery budget.

This may not be a big deal to you. But to others it may be. To me it is. First and foremost I need to stick to a grocery budget. But I also really like the challenge that I am giving myself by having to stick to a strict budget. This is why I chose to "just say no" to the cookies. Besides, I can just make them myself at home without all the excess packaging. That way I am being Green & Thrifty ;)

*images from Getty Images

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...