Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I am not a big fan of recipes when I cook. Not because I think I am a better cook than the author (which I most certainly am not), but because I have a hard time following written directions. Plus I'm lazy. I enjoy making dishes that allow me a little wiggle room in order to either experiment with flavors or to add as little or as much as I want. When I cook, I add what "feels" and looks right to me.

And when I make mashed potatoes it is no different. I do not measure my liquid but simply add until everything looks right to me. I've seen garlic mashed potatoes recipes that call for boiling and mashing the garlic along with the potatoes and I've seen recipes that call for roasting the garlic. There is one problem with these recipes - I don't buy fresh garlic. Foodies around the world are turning their noses up at the idea, but I find it so much easier and cost effective. Many mashed potato recipes also call for cream or half-and-half. But that is not something I regularly have in the house and don't like buying special ingredients for recipes (not very often anyway). You may be out there thinking that no one needs a recipe for mashed potatoes and I think you are right. They are not an exact science and can easily be adapted. So instead I give you the basic formula for how I make garlic mashed potatoes.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

potatoes
chopped garlic
butter
milk
salt
pepper

1. Wash and peel (if using russets, otherwise I leave on the skin) potatoes. Quarter and put in a pot of water. Boil until fork tender. Drain.
2. In same pot, melt butter. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add milk and combine.
3. Put potatoes back in pot and mash. Stir ingredients all together. Salt and pepper to taste (though I find that not much is needed when I do it this way).

The amount of each ingredient is another one of those "what feels right" kind of things. It is also an incredibly easy side dish to make from scratch. When I made them this week I used three medium potatoes, three tablespoons of butter (I could have done less...but why?), about three teaspoons of garlic (which would be six cloves), and probably around 1/4 of milk. I will say that the potatoes always seem too liquidy at first when I make them this wake, but they quickly absorb all that excess warmed milk and butter and become oh so creamy!

This post is included in the GCC recipe swap

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...