If you eat 4x as much, are you saving any money?

So I made dinner rolls tonight and they were GOOD. There was nothing special about them. They were just plain, whole wheat rolls, but that did not stop me from gobbling up way too many. But I am a sucker for fresh homemade bread anyway. Here is the recipe I used tonight. It is from Dining On a Dime, a cookbook I definitely recommend for making food from scratch.


image from Getty Images


Ninety-Minute Rolls
  • 2-2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 pkg. or 1 tbsp yeast
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp butter
  1. Mix 3/4 cup flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Heat milk, water, and butter until very warm (120-130). Add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
  2. Add 1/4 cup flour and beat 2 minutes on high. Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough. Knead 2-3 minutes.
  3. Place in greased bowl and let rise 15 minutes. Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place in an 8-inch round cake pan. Let rise 15 minutes. 
  4. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Even though I eat so much more of it, I still like to think that I am saving money.  It cost me less than $1 to make this batch of a dozen rolls out of high-quality ingredients. And they are worth every penny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...