Ways to Save: One Pot Meals


One pot meals are quite commonly served around here. They can definitely be money-savers, since you can stretch the amount of protein in the dish with grains or vegetables; but they can also be time savers and "I'm tired and hungry...let's just go out to eat" attitude savers. They are quick and easy, and with a little bit of prep beforehand can be made even quicker. Just like any well-balanced meal, my one pot meals must consist of a quality protein, a whole grain, and one or more vegetables. When I get back to posting many of my meals and their cost breakdown, you will see more of these, but here are a few of our favorites to give you an idea:

  • quinoa, salmon, green beans
  • pasta, shrimp, tomatoes
  • rice, chicken, black beans, corn, salsa
Okay, so those are the only ones coming to mind right now, but I am sure you get the picture. Starch  + protein + veggie = meal. Here are some examples of what you could use, though this isn't a full list, feel free to add to it:

Starch: brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain pilaf (I use Kashi), quinoa
Protein: ground turkey/chicken, shredded chicken, canned salmon/tuna, shrimp, white fish fillet
Vegetable: green beans, broccoli, corn (let us not start the starch vs. veggie argument here, ok?), tomatoes, peas, carrots

These meals have seriously saved me, and my budget, too many times to count. I throw together what sounds and feels good to me at the moment (I don't do well with recipes, I am a feeler in the kitchen) and the end product never fails me. It may sound bland to some, but with the right seasonings (which don't include salt in my house!), almost anything is delicious. Also, when in doubt, just cover it in salsa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...