Freezer Cooking Update

MoneySavingMom posted her Freezer Cooking roundup on Tuesday, but I can't do anything on time. So I am posting mine on Thursday. Only I am not done, so it is just an update. I posted earlier this week about everything I wanted to cook/bake, and I knew that I was not going to get everything done in two days. But I have gotten a few things done and I will continue to work on my list. That is usually how my freezer cooking goes. In case you were wondering (I know you have been anxiously awaiting this post), here is what I have gotten done:

disclaimer: These are horrible pictures. Shield your eyes from them and only read the words if you must.



I made Ellie Krieger's Nutty Granola recipe, only using 3/4 cup each of almonds and peanuts, omitting the walnuts. This is really, really good. This isn't all it made, of course, but this is what I have kept out.



Breakfast Cookies (adapted from Heavenly Homemakers)

1/2 cup canola oil

1/2 cup applesauce

1/2 cup honey

2 eggs

1 t. salt

1 t. cinnamon

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

1/2  cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup milk with a tbsp lemon juice)

2 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups whole rolled oats

1 cup raisins

1. Mix everything from oil to milk.

2. Stir in flour and oats. Fold in raisins or chocolate chips.

3. Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Allow cookies to cool 3-4 minutes on cookie sheet before removing cookies to cool on a wire rack.

Making them the size I like I get about 14 cookies.

Here are a dozen (minus one...I wonder where it went) breakfast burritos rolled and ready to go in the freezer. Once they are frozen I will transfer them to bags. All I did was brown up a pound of ground sausage, scramble 8 eggs, and mix it together. I then wrapped a little of that up in each of 12 tortillas. And I did make the tortillas.



I quadrupled my favorite pancake recipe. The kid and I tasted them while the other batches were cooking - we approve.



I also have two big bags of cooked rice, two bags of pinto beans (both of which are in 4 cup portions), and three meals worth of shredded chicken. Not pictured are three cans worth of white beans that I froze in mason jars.

Not pictured is a batch of peanut butter cookie dough in the freezer. I used the easiest peanut butter cookie recipe ever:

1 cup peanut butter (I used natural)

1 cup sugar (I used sucanat)

1 egg

1. Mix.

2. Roll in balls and lightly press down.

3. Cook at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

If freezing, stop after step 2 and freeze individually on a cookie sheet before putting in a bag. Pull out as needed and bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...