Last night's dinner was a cheap one, but it is easy to prepare and we really enjoy it. It is simple but can easily be changed to accommodate different flavors and spices.
Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole (based on recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette)
3/4 cup organic lentils - $0.38
1/2 cup brown rice - $0.50
1 cup chicken broth* - $0.00 (I make my own so it might as well be free)
2 cups water* - $0.00
2 tsp italian seasoning - $0.15
1 tsp garlic - $0.10
1/2 cup cheddar cheese - $0.35
2 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets - $1.00
1. Mix all ingredients except cheese in baking pan (I use an 11x7).
2. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour 10 minutes at 300 degrees.
3. Uncover, cover with cheese, and bake 20 minutes more, or until cheese is nice and melted. Like most casseroles, it is best to let it sit for a few minutes before cutting into it.
4. Steam broccoli and eat with casserole.
Total cost: $2.38 - The casserole technically makes 6 servings...but the two of us (and the Kid when he feels like eating) can polish off a whole one off if we are really hungry. The broccoli was just for one meal, though.
* You can use any combination of liquid here that you like - chicken/veggie broth, water, even tomato sauce. You just want to make sure you have 3 cups total.